NEWS  :  Season 2010/11

Hounds Social Diary ™

Hounds remain unbeaten - with another draw... | Reserves decide the GFA Cup isn't for them by Dunc, 25th Sep 2010

Excitingly, we have TWO guest reporters for this week’s games – it’s only Young Matt and Jeeves!!

Sneyd Park 2 – 2 Hounds

Hounds maintain their unbeaten start to the season with a last minute equaliser from Steve Paul. New Boss McMahon remains unbeaten in the hot seat in the 2010/11 season after a fabulous and well deserved come back saw the Hounds rescue a point from last season’s double winners, Sneyd Park. The teams last met in the Norman Hardy Cup Final of last season, with Sneyd running out 5-1 winners. This result will help put the disappointment to bed as the Hounds look to build on a solid start to the season.

The Hounds were behind for the first time in a game this season mid way through the first half as the ball broke kindly for the Sneyd midfielder who calmly slotted the ball past Graeme the Goalie. If truth be told Sneyd had started the better team and were good value for their lead, with Graeme producing three good saves to keep the score at 0-0. Sneyd Park were on top with two midfielders deployed in free roles that confused the Hounds back line and midfield and allowed Sneyd time and space on the ball in the middle of the park. The Hounds found themselves 2-0 down when the big Sneyd striker finished neatly from an incisive break away.

So at 2-0 down at half time, Coach McMahon delivered the team talk of his life, rather strangely on his knees, imploring his team to up the work rate and get back into this game. A slight tinkering of the system put Cheqs in between the Hounds defence and midfield to cover the Sneyd attackers tricky-not-holding-a-traditional-position ploy. The plan almost had an instant impact; good work down the right found Redbond in space to deliver a perfect cross to Wiles, who, now wearing contact lenses can judge the flight of a ball from more than a metre away, met the ball with a bullet header that missed the target by inches (from my angle anyway). Lifelong Hounds fan and season ticket holder Jimmy Daniel thought the ball was in “I thought the ball was in, and we were back in it straight away, I can’t believe that didn’t go in” said Jimmy.

The Hounds continued to press Sneyd through the second half and were the better team for much of it, creating chances and playing with a new found confidence, possibly from the half time team talk delivered so well by McMahon. Halfway through the second half, the Hounds got their reward, a Wiles clearance was misjudged by the Sneyd defenders and on-loan superstar Ibrahimovic latched on to the loose ball, as the ‘keeper advanced, Ibra calmly lifted the ball over him into the net to send the Hounds fans delirious. Sneyd then pressed Hounds as they looked to re-establish the two goal cushion, but the Hounds defence stood strong, and excellent work from Steve P prevented the Sneyd midfielder getting a free header from a corner. “I had to win it, but then ended up getting headed by a dinosaur” said the Hounds star. The Hounds looked to press for another goal and for the second game in a row earned the equaliser in the last minute of the game. A corner from the left was fumbled by the Sneyd keeper, a short spell of heading pinball ensued, before Steve P leapt above everyone to volley the ball into the roof of the net. The ageing Hounds star defied his years to stretch his right leg above the Sneyd defenders to level the game. The Hounds had to endure one last Sneyd attack as a free kick was well turned over by Graeme, with the resulting corner being cleared by the impressive Hounds player/manager McMahon. The referee called time on an enthralling encounter in which both teams will feel they could have won, but where a draw was the fair result. Hounds are next in action against Wick Reserves in the GFA cup on Saturday 2nd October.

“Today really was a game of two halves, with both teams dominating one half, and either team could have taken three points” said Hounds goal scorer Ibra, “It’s always nice to score, and I had a little too much time to think about one, but I’m confident in my finishing, and was pleased to see it go in. We’re playing a new formation and so far it’s OK, it’s hard work, but I don’t mind that. I’m just happy to be back playing football, last season (with Barcelona) was not great, but I feel at home here.”

“I’m delighted with the point, it feels like a win coming at the end like that, I saw their manager and he looked as, sick as a parrot when we scored, but I thought we played well enough to get something from the game and was really pleased with the attitude of the players to respond as we did to being down at half time. Graeme kept us in it early on, and deserved his Man of the Match award as the game could have run away from us, but we kept going and showed we’re going to be a tough team to beat this year. Ibra took his goal really well, obviously Barca didn’t want him and when a player of that quality is available, it’s a great bonus for us to have signed him, the Chairman (retired striker now referee, Dan Kanaris) has done really well to sort that deal out. I think Deep Heat (other brands are available) can take some credit for Steve’s athleticism in the last minute there” said a delighted Hounds boss McMahon.

Quote of the day goes to Steve P, during a conversation about which Sneyd player had nearly scored – “the normal sized one”

Coultard 9; McMahon 7, Deaton 7 (Revel-Horwood 80), Nedved 7, Treacle 7; Redbond 7, Chequer 7, May 7 (Howe 45, 7), Paul 8, Wiles 7 (Hall 75); Ibrahimovic 8.

Hounds Reserves 2 – 6 Brandon TT Sports

Some days you just know it’s not going to be your day.

The manager and kit turning up 20 mins late was a bad enough start; this was compounded by Desk Job being incompetent at his Desk Job as no one knew who was eligible to play and there was no ref allocated. If this was his real job he would undoubtedly be on a ‘disciplinary’.

Having raced down to pitch-side in the Baron’s souped up Focus with 10 minutes to spare (we had to drive as Desk Job wouldn’t have made it in time for KO), there was barely enough time to warm up.

As is usual in the GFA cup, our opponents were a mixture of pikeys, chavs and the occasional decent chap. Unfortunately for ‘the decent chap’, his name was eBay. Now I’m not sure if he gained the nickname for being addicted to buying things you don’t really need at very reasonable prices or whether he was the creator of this ingenious website and decided to name himself accordingly, rather like the Napster.

Anyway to the game…

We started awfully and managed to concede in what seemed like the first 2 minutes. Slack defending and a decent near post shot – 0-1. Despite a couple of let-offs from long balls over the top we equalised with a flowing move from left to right. Well when I say flowing, I mean fortunate; having received the ball from the left, Fordy was in a decent shooting position on the edge of the box. Unfortunately he decided to shoot first time with his left foot. Fortunately it was that bad that the ball broke to Jeeves who finished low to the keeper’s left. Despite being congratulated on the coolness of the finish, he secretly knew that he was aiming for the other corner.

The game itself quickly degenerated into whinging, insults and dodgy tackles from the Suburban League team despite the best efforts of Rocco in his new position of Ref. I would suggest that 2 weeks reffing in a row warrants the addition of ‘Ref’ to his squad profile.

To be honest I’m not going to go through the rest of the match as it’s pretty boring reading about conceding numerous goals, however I’ll just highlight the following:

Well done to Antonio for his goal and constant goal threat despite being continually hacked down and finished off with the odd elbow drop.

Despite conceding 6, j_DAN played well in goal, although it’s always slightly embarrassing being beaten from the half way line (I should know).

Their number 4 was a complete c***. I’m pretty certain that’s not libellous, as even Ebay agreed.

Gerro’s attempted clearance to a ball trundling towards him when the last line of defence. He managed to miss it and end up on his arse. Luckily their striker also seemed to be retired rather like Desk Job.

Desk Job’s family turning up to watch him just as he was substituted and then having to ref the rest of the game.

Special mention to Dunc for his miss from 3 yards out with no-one to beat. The easiest chance he’ll get to double his Hounds career tally.

We lost 6-2 but we can take comfort from the fact that half of them will be going to prison and the other half will be working at Funderworld.

Special thanks to Rocco and Desk Job for reffing.

MOM: Antonio & Andy

Goals: Jeeves & Antonio

Taxi: For Dunc.

Sporting Greyhound FC
designed by the Sporting Greyhounds