NEWS  :  Season 2009/10

Hounds Social Diary ™

Both teams decide to lose... | Sturge’s Curry Night by Dunc, 6th Mar 2010

Whilst I’m sunning myself on holiday, today’s guest report writer is the Bristol Evening Post…

Clifton St Vincents 3 – 0 Hounds

Stoke Bishop 4 – 2 Hounds Reserves

Check the bland (but accurate-ish) reporting here.

Stoke Bishop overcame Sporting Greyhound Reserves to maintain their chances of winning the Downs League Division III title.

Greyhound opened the scoring through Mark Lyons, but Stoke Bishop soon took command thanks to two goals from Alex Werren.

James Coombs added another before Werren completed his hat-trick, following up to score after having his penalty saved. Lyons netted Greyhound’s second goal before team-mate Paul Lingard missed a spot-kick near the end. [Against a keeper wearing a scarf…]

Stoke Bishop manager Ed Hall, whose team trail leaders Evergreen by three points, said: “It was a fantastic game between two title contenders which was played in a good spirit.

“However, we were the better footballing team and managed to record a good win.”

The game started at a quick tempo, with Stoke Bishop, who are only in their second season, playing well. However, it was their opponents who opened the scoring in the 20th minute. A throw-in was cleared high into the sky by the Stoke Bishop defence and landed at the feet of Lyons, who volleyed into the corner of the net.

The goal lifted Greyhound and they began to dominate before a crazy three minutes saw Stoke Bishop turn the game on its head with two goals.

The impressive Ash Giles sent striker Werren through on goal and he slotted his shot through the legs of keeper Jon Sturgesss to equalise.

The turnaround was completed a couple of minutes later as Werren doubled his tally. This time, Marcus Bird played a ball through the heart of the Sporting defence, which the lively striker slotted coolly into the bottom corner of the net.

Further chances came and went for Stoke Bishop’s Giles, and Greyhound’s Jack Sealy before the half-time break.

The second period began slowly as both teams struggled to create chances against two well-drilled defences in which Stoke Bishop’s Tom Fear and Jem Douglas and Greyhound’s Jimmy Daniel excelled. [Even though he went off at half-time…]

However, Stoke Bishop gradually began to crank up the pressure. Phil Butterworth headed a Giles corner against the crossbar, with the talented new addition to the Stoke Bishop squad, Tom Headford, volleying over the rebound.

Their pressure paid off with a third goal 15 minutes from time as another corner by Giles was headed in at the back post by Coombs.

Within two minutes, it was 4-1 when Bird was brought down in the box after a through ball set him free. Werren stepped up confidently, only to see his penalty saved by Sturgess, but the rebound gave the striker a second chance and he tapped in to complete his hat-trick.

The drama had not finished yet, however. A ball down the left flank was collected by Lyons, who claimed his second goal of the match with a good finish.

Greyhound kept pressing forward and, in the dying minutes, Lyons had his shirt tugged in the box.

But the resulting penalty, taken by Lingard, was saved well by Stoke Bishop keeper Josh Yakub [Who was WEARING A SCARF] to end a heart-pounding match, in which Stoke Bishop ran out deserved winners.

Stoke Bishop: Josh Yakub, Matthew Burnham, Dylan Jenkins, Jem Douglas, James Coombs, Tom Fear, Ed Hall, Tom Headford, Ash Giles, Marcus Bird, Alex Werren. SUBS: Law Jennings, Dan Berry, Phil Butterworth.

Sporting Greyhound Reserves: Jon Sturgess, Jimmy Daniel, Luke Redbond, Chris Goundrill, Craig Fletcher, Si Gerring, Sukhi Kang, Jack Sealy, Mark Lyons, Dan Kanaris, John Hall. SUBS: James Skuce, Paul Lingard, Steve Searle.

Sturge’s Curry Night

Sturge is taking us all out for a curry!

Sporting Greyhound FC
designed by the Sporting Greyhounds